Sunday, December 9, 2007

nana's gift.......we thought

Happy birthday mom, I love you so much and am so grateful that you are my husbands mother. You bring so much to me pesonally, to my life. Your example and your faith inspire me. Your joy and laughter bless me. Thank you for being such a huge part of my life. Hugs to you today! I hope you had a special one. tina

10 years ago today i was very pregnant and sitting down to hear my husband practice the first sermon he would ever preach. We were in Bible college and scott was in his Homiletices I class. It was about 9am and he had just pulled out the t.v. on a stand to use as a podium to run through his sermon. i was all comfy on the couch and he had just started to speak and i said " WAIT! I HAVE TO GO TO THE BATHROOM" as i stood up from the couch i felt a gush down my leg. UH OH, i said, my water just broke, he was like nuh uh! i said, yes its true, i guess you do not have to preach today. I think that was a relief for him. anyway we proceeded to get ready to go to the hospital. We live in downtown edmonds and delivered at Swedish hospital in Ballard, up in the Seattle area. We chose to do the Bradley method of birth, very natural, no intervention, lots of walking, and no drugs. So we get there and started laboring right away, i was already at 3c.m. had been there for a week or so. Things started progressing quite quickly,
The whole family was there, i wanted it to be a big celebration and everyone to experience it with us. I think there was 8 in the room most of the time. I was starting to hurt really bad and come to find out i was having something called BACK LABOR, and it hurt horribly and it never went away. i got in the tub and that helped for about 20 minutes and then it got really bad, i guess it relaxed me enuf but not enuf to make me feel better. The back labor was horrific and to be honest i do not remember much after the hot tub. It was a blur, lotsa pain, were now about 10-11 hours into it, which really is not to bad for a first baby. i started getting a fever and the babies heart beat started going up just a little, i was very tense and not able to relax at all. up to this point i had done everthing as written in my birth plan. My doctor suggested an epidural to relax me enuf to let the rest happen naturally, i was reluctant, but gave in. Oh my gosh, was it heavan. the back labor was killing me ladies. I have to admit there was some guilt involved from enjoying the drugs so much. I so wanted to do it drug free, oh, how i enjoyed it though. I felt soo good to have no pain for awhile and to be rid of back pain. How is it that some can tolerate it and others cannot? That is a mystery, cuz i really wanted it and had educated myself too. anyhow. Now remeber that today is my mother in laws birthday and she was going to get her first grandchild as a gift. how cool would that be. Since it is not the the tenth yet you will have to toon in for the rest of the story until tomorrow. tina (oh, i guess you figured out that mom did not get him for a gift on her day.) see ya tomorrow tina

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I so remember this. I did forget that Scott was set to preach for the first time though. It's hard to believe that it was 10 years ago already-wow!

You should not feel guilty at all for having medication at childbirth. My babies practically birthed themselves, otherwise I would've gotten the strongest of whatever medication was available, that's for sure!

I can't wait for part 2.

momaof4 said...

You have to thank God for giving the epideral to someone to create!!!