Tuesday, October 30, 2007

PHONICS PROBLEMS

Okay everyone. My kids are in a charter school and it is quite a bit different than the public school we came from. They are doing some sort of phonograms called RIGGS. Is anyone familiar with it? I'm not even sure i am calling it the right thing. I just know it is very confusing for me to figure out. I baught the cards to have at home to practice with the kids, but honestly it is like greek to me. i do not get them. there is alot of markings for vowels and sounds and stuff i do not even get. The kids 2 and 4 grade. The weekly spelling test they have to take, they have to underline and marke up the whole word, its very confusing and messy. I know i am not explaining myself very well. They have to get all the markings right along with the spelling to get it all right. sometimes the words have 5 or six markings on them at one time. anyway, my point is i need help. I do not get it and i cant help my kids. To be quite honest, i dont really want to learn it, i think it is a little excessive and i do not agree with it. Ofcourse i have not shared my attitude with my kids. If anyone is familiar with it and has any advice to share i am open to it.
The house thing is still in the works. I will keep ya posted. have a great evening. tina

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, my friend. I have nothing to offer in the way of help. I do think the program sounds wacky though. In my years of homeschooling I've never come across anything that sounds like that kind of phonics learning.

I suppose you will have to learn it along with the kids so you can help them. That is so lame :(

P.S. NaBloPoMo stands for national blog posting month. The challenge is to post every day in November. It's not really a contest, although there are some prizes being offered. So, I'll be posting every day. The web site is just a place to sign up for it, but you don't have to. It's not too late to do it if you want...