Tuesday, November 20, 2007

HOUSTON, WE HAVE A PROBLEM

okay the results of khalobs vision testing was very positive. He does have to get glasses for school and homework. then he has a 2 hour testing phase in dec. to figure out some other problems. The doctor said that for sure that his reading/writing /spelling difficulties are related to the vision issues. Im glad for him that there is something concretely wrong, and now we can fix it. She was telling me that alot of learning problems are more related to the eyes and brain/eye connection then we are lead to believe in the school systems. Alot of kids are getting labeled as difficult, slow, and learning disabled when really it is a vision thing. When you really think about it there is so much to learn when we are first learning to read. many senses are used and i have learned so much more about the eye and what is happening and all the different things that must happen to succesfully learn to read and decode. It's interesting. She told me that in some european countries and in japan this testing is done to every child at 5 years old BEFORE they start school, so the educators and parents know if they need glasses and or therapy. In america unless a child is atleast 2 years behind they do not consider doing anything to find out what what is going on. Can you imagine how many kids could be spared stress, anxiety, emotional scarring, self-doubt, if educatores knew even a small tidbit of info about this kind of therapy. I might have found a band wagon to jump on. I think it is wrong that our teachers do not have any clue about this stuff. Any way, if you would like more info about any of this let me know and i will get it to you. I highly recommend that if you have any child that has been struggling for any length of time with learning that you consider this and do some research. My motherly, god given instinct told me two years ago all was not well, and i kept asking about tutoring, or testing or something. All i got was, not he is a boy he will catch up, they just learn slower. That is true, but he just kept gettin more and more behind and more and more frustrated. I am so thankful we found this. My personal opinion is that because he did not have any other issues like; behavioral, ADD, family problems that he wasn't seriously looked at as needing anything extra. Moms we have got to listen to our guts and instincts more. God has given that to us that gift and we really should listen to it. In all circumstances. I know things will get better and it is all going to work out. I have know all along that something was just not quite right with him. anyway.
One more day to shop, finalize a menu, and clean the house. I will be baking pies and crust tomorrow. I think i will even do the sweet potatoes ahead and peel all the potatoes for mashing. Anything that i can do early to help the actual day be more relaxing iam going to do. Please say a prayer for me, i am feeling like i am coming down with something. head, sore throat, a little achey. This happens to me alot, i get sick right before a holiday or during. Iam not quite sure why. i do not feel stressed. i am actually looking forward to it. I want to play and stay up late playing with everyone. Have a great day and more to come tomorrow about
THANKFULLNESS. Sleep tight , do not let the bed bugs bite. tina

No comments: